Finnish LUKE Forest Map
Currently (2019), forest maps are available for years 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009 and 2006. In windPRO we distribute the latest version from 2015. Please note: As the forest data is generate by machine learning algorithms and active forestry is also taking place, we recommend that you validate the forest patches by aerial imagery and/or a site inspection.
Data Applicability and Availability within windPRO
The LUKE forest height data are used as input for the dedicated sub-models in windPRO which takes takes into account the forest impact on the wind flow. This is the displacement height calculator and the Objective Roughness Approach (ORA) tool. Both forest models are available from windPRO 3.2+. The forest heighs in windPRO are delivered in meters.
The LUKE forest data is accessed from the online-services from the ‘elevation grid object’ with data-type set to ‘Heights above terrain (a.g.l) for elements’.
Technical Details (original data)
- ETRS-TM35FIN (EPSG: 3067)
- Stand mean height 2015 (dm)
- 32766 is a missing value: the pixel belongs to forestry land but without satellite image cover
- 32767 is a null value: the pixel does not belong to forestry land or is outside of the country
For the data in windPRO, the null values and missing data are neglected.
- The Natural Resources Institute Finland / Luonnonvarakeskus (Luke) is acknowledged for development and release of the free and open dataset of Finnish forest data – and thus for aiding the development of wind energy in forested areas.
- Integration of this dataset into EMD services - was co-supported through the InnoWind project (www.innowind.dk) - which is co-funded by the Danish Innovation Fund
The map is released under an open-data license by the National Forest Institute of Finland (LUKE). Link to the licence conditions - CLICK HERE.
If data from the LUKE Forest Map is used within a published product the following notification should be given:
Source: Forest height data - Copyright (C) - Natural Resources Institute Finland, 2017. Distribution through EMD and windPRO.
Mäkisara, Kai; Katila, Matti; Peräsaari, Jouni; Tomppo, Erkki: The Multi-Source National Forest Inventory of Finland – methods and results 2013, (2016): Available at http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-326-186-0