Heliosat Solar (East)
"Heliosat Solar (East)" is a satelite based surface solar irradiance dataset produced and delivered by EUMETSAT CM SAF (Satellite Application Facility on Climate Monitoring) - see https://www.cmsaf.eu/. Further documentation on the CM SAF product used can be found here.
- Content: Surface radition parameters to be used in solar calculations in windPRO
- Spatial Resolution: The dataset is available on a regular geographical (lat/lon) grid at 0.05x0.05 resolution (around 5 km).
- Temporal Resolution: Hourly values.
- Coverage: The dataset has an extend +- 65 degrees in latitude and -8 to 128 degress in longitude.
In windPRO, offshore coverage is at a distance of approximately 300 km from any known coastlines.
- Period: 1999-01-01 to 2016-12-31
- Availability: This dataset requires a windPRO version 3.4+
Availability from within windPRO
The data can be accessed and used from windPRO in the following objects:
- Meteo object (data container - online service for obtaining data)
- Solar PV object (calculation tool)
The windPRO dataset only contains parameters needed for solar calculations. The parameters are listed below.
|time||UTC time stamp|
|SIS||w/m2||Surface Incoming Shortwave Irradiance|
|SID||w/m2||Surface Irradiance Direct|
All parameters are instantaneous. The two parameters SIS and SID can be used to calculate the diffuse radiation as SIS-SID = diffuse radiation.
To access the Heliosat Solar (East) data from within windPRO - the following licenses/modules are required in your windPRO setup:
When the license fee is paid, you then have access to the full dataset without further cost. Downloading of data is unrestricted for licenced users with an active service subscription, however, a "fair use" policy applies. Visit EMD online ordering to purchase the necessary licences.
If data from this dataset is used within any private or public disseminations, then EMD and its data providers must be acknowledged.
Source: Heliosat Solar (East). Distribution through EMD and windPRO - EMD International A/S, 2020. This dataset uses Heliosat Solar data which is being developed by EUMETSAT CM SAF (Satellite Application Facility on Climate Monitoring) - https://www.cmsaf.eu/.
- EUMETSAT CM SAF (Satellite Application Facility on Climate Monitoring) - https://www.cmsaf.eu/