German Berlin Elevation Model
The windPRO elevation model for Berlin is a digital terrain model (DTM) produced from open geodata. The original data were produced and delivered by the Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung und Wohnen. The elevation model delivered with windPRO is at 5m resolution while original model data is available at a maximum resolution of 1m. The DTM model in windPRO version is resampled by EMD to obtain a slightly coarser resolution - 5m. This is done in order for the data to be operational for the larger domains needed in the context of wind farm analysis’ and wind flow modelling. The 5m data made available by EMD represents the data status of December 2019.
- Spatial Coverage: Berlin
- Resolution: 5m (in windPRO)
- Data-type: Digital Terrain Model (DTM)
- Coordinate system
- Horizontal: ETRS89/UTM33 (EPSG 25833)
- Vertical: DHHN92 - Deutsches Haupthöhennetz 1992
- Data were downloaded in December 2019.
- Data originates from aerial scans during years 2007-2008. Elevations were obtained by photogrammetry.
- Vertical: Not specified
- Horizontal: Not specified
Availability from within WindPRO
The data are available directly from within windPRO in 5-meter grid resolution. Please note that for the 5-meter grid - the downloaded area is limited to 20 km x 20 km to keep the files at a usable size. The data within the elevation object may be extended with coarser data if a bigger area is needed. The data can be accessed from the online-services in the following objects:
- Line Object (with purpose to height contour lines)
- Elevation Grid Object
- Download and processing time is in the order of (a few) minutes for the high-resolution dataset (5m grid) - so please be patient! Due to the large amounts of high-resolution elevation data and the tile-based storage system, you will experience that downloading the data for a site may last a few minutes. If this is a problem for you, please consider downloading 'smaller' areas.
License and Attribution
The data is based on open geo-data of Berlin, licensed under the "Data license Germany – attribution – version 2.0" (Datenlizenz Deutschland - Namensnennung - Version 2.0 - dl-de/by-2-0). When using the dataset, the user must ensure that the source note contains the following information - and to ackknowledge EMD, windPRO and its data providers:
Source:EMD/windPRO elevation model. Based on data from Geoportal Berlin / ATKIS® DGM1 / Datenlizenz Deutschland – Namensnennung – Version 2.0.
- The Berlin Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung und Wohnen are thanked for producing this digital elevation dataset – and disseminating it in the public domain and thus for aiding the development of renewable energy and wind energy in particular.
- Integration of this dataset into EMD services was co-supported through the InnoWind project (www.innowind.dk) which is co-funded by the Danish Innovation Fund