German Thuringia Elevation Models
The windPRO elevation models for the German Bundesland of Thuringia (Thüringen) are digital terrain models produced from data originally obtained from the open geodata of the Free State of Thuringia. The original data were produced and delivered by the Thüringer Landesamt für Bodenmanagement und Geoinformation. Two elevation models are delivered with windPRO: one at 5m resolution and one at 25m resolution. The original models are available at a maximum resolution of 1m and 2m, however, the highest resolution model in windPRO version is resampled by EMD to obtain a slightly coarser resolution - 5m. This is done in order for the data to be operational for the larger domains needed in the context of wind farm analysis’ and wind flow modelling. The resampling based on 2m data is done by a bi-linear interpolation algorithm. The 5m data made available by EMD represents the data status of November 2019, while the 25m data represents data status from 2017.
- Spatial Coverage: Bundesland of Thuringia
- Resolution: 5m and 25m (in windPRO)
- Data-type: Digital Terrain Model (DTM)
- Coordinate system
- Horizontal: ETRS89/UTM32 (EPSG 25832)
- Vertical - until April 2016: DHHN92 - Deutsches Haupthöhennetz 1992
- Vertical - after December 2016: DHHN2016 (EPSG 7837) - Deutsche Haupthöhennetz 2016
- Data were downloaded in 2017 (25m data) and november 2019 (5m data).
- Data originates from years 2010-2013 (2m resolution) and 2014-2019 (1m resolution), dependent on area (see map to the right).
- Vertical: For the 1m resolution tiles accuracy is stated in tile-metadata to be 0.15m-0.30m
- Vertical: For the 2m resolution tiles accuracy is stated in tile-metadata to be 0.20m-0.50m
- Horizontal: Not specified
Availability from within WindPRO
The data are available directly from within windPRO in 5-meter and 25-meter grid resolution. Please note that for the 5-meter grid - the downloaded area is limited to 10 km x 10 km to keep the files at a usable size. The data within the elevation object may be extended with coarser data if a bigger area if needed. The data can be accessed from the online-services in the following objects:
- Line Object (with purpose to height contour lines)
- Elevation Grid Object
- Download and processing time is in the order of (a few) minutes for the high-resolution dataset (5m grid) - so please be patient! Due to the large amounts of high-resolution elevation data and the tile-based storage system, you will experience that downloading the data for a site may last a few minutes. If this is a problem for you, please consider downloading 'smaller' areas.
License and Attribution
The data is based on open geo-data of the Bundesland of Thuringia, licensed under the "Data license Germany – attribution – version 2.0" (Datenlizenz Deutschland - Namensnennung - Version 2.0 - dl-de/by-2-0). When using the dataset, the user must ensure that the source note contains the following information:
EMD/windPRO elevation model. Based on data from © GDI-Th / Datenlizenz Deutschland – Namensnennung – Version 2.0.
- The Thüringer Landesamt für Bodenmanagement und Geoinformation are thanked for producing this digital elevation dataset – and disseminating it in the public domain and thus for aiding the development of renewable energy and wind energy in particular.
- Integration of this dataset into EMD services was co-supported through the InnoWind project ([http://www.innowind.dk www.innowind.dk) which is co-funded by the Danish Innovation Fund