UK-England Elevation Model (LIDAR)
The UK - England Elevation Model (LIDAR) in 10m grid resolution is a digital terrain model (DTM) produced from higher resolution LiDAR scans originally obtained from the Environment Agency. The original model at 2m resolution is named ‘LIDAR Composite DTM 2019 - 2m’. The derived elevation model delivered with windPRO is at 10m resolution (made with bi-linear interpolation). For wind energy modelling, we typically need a more coarse model (5-10m grid resolution) for the data to be operational for the large areas needed. Coverage for the data is approximately 85% of England.
- Spatial Coverage: 85% of the UK-England territory
- Resolution: 10 m
- Data-type: Digital Terrain Model (DTM)
- Coordinate system (original data):
- Horizontal: OSGB36 British National Grid (EPSG: 27700)
- Vertical: Elevations recorded above Ordnance Datum Newlyn
- Version: Data downloaded in December 2020.
- Vertical Accuracy: N/A (but as LiDAR data in the centimeter-range)
- Survey Period: The composite contains data from surveys undertaken from 1998-03-12 until 2019-09-01.
- Since only 85% of the territory is covered by the LiDAR scans - you may need to void-fill some areas. If you download the data into an elevation grid object, these void-areas can easily be filled with other readily available sources such as the 50m gridded data from OS Land Form or OS Terrain 50.
- Higher resolution data exist for selected areas in the region based on more recent LiDAR surveys: These are in resolutions from 0.25m to 2m – and may be accessed directly from the UK Open Data web-site (see link below).
Availability from within windPRO
The data are available directly from within windPRO in 10-meter grid resolution. The data can be accessed from the online-services in the following objects:
- Line Object (with purpose set to height contour lines)
- Elevation Grid Object
License and Attribution
The product belongs to the open geospatial data of the Environmental Agency. The data are licensed under a under a ‘Open Government License for Public Sector Information v. 3.0’. A copy of this license is available from The National Archices, here. This license is compatible with the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0. Please use the following attribution when using this dataset:
License: Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. Contains Environment Agency Data © 2021. Adapted and distributed by EMD and windPRO.
- The Environment Agency and the public of England are thanked for producing this digital elevation dataset – and disseminating it in the public domain and thus for aiding the development of renewable energy.