German Brandenburg Elevation Model
The windPRO elevation model for Brandenburg is a digital terrain model (DTM) produced from open geodata. The original data were produced and delivered by Landesvermessung und Geobasisinformation Brandenburg (LGB). Two elevation models are delivered with windPRO: one at 5m resolution and another with 20m grid resolution. Original model data is available at a maximum resolution of 1m. The DTM model in windPRO version is resampled by EMD to obtain a slightly coarser resolutions - 5m and 20m. This is done in order for the data to be operational for the larger domains needed in the context of wind farm analysis’ and wind flow modelling. The 5m data made available by EMD represents the data status of February 2020, with the open data released from LGB at January 16th 2020.
- Spatial Coverage: Brandenburg, Germany
- Resolution: 5m and 20m (in windPRO)
- Data-type: Digital Terrain Model (DTM)
- Coordinate system
- Horizontal: ETRS89/UTM33 (EPSG 25833)
- Vertical: Staatliches Nivellementnetz 1976 (EPSG 5181)
- Data were downloaded in February 2020.
- Data originates from aerial scans mainly from years 2010-2019. Elevations were obtained by laser-scans (LiDAR) and by photogrammetry. See this pdf.
- Vertical: 0.3m (in original 1m data)
- Horizontal: 0.3m (in original 1m data)
Availability from within WindPRO
The data are available directly from within windPRO in 5-meter grid resolution. Please note that for the 5-meter grid - the downloaded area is limited to 20 km x 20 km to keep the files at a usable size. The data within the elevation object may be extended with coarser data if a bigger area is needed. The data can be accessed from the online-services in the following objects:
- Line Object (with purpose to height contour lines)
- Elevation Grid Object
- Download and processing time is in the order of (a few) minutes for the high-resolution dataset (5m grid) - so please be patient! Due to the large amounts of high-resolution elevation data and the tile-based storage system, you will experience that downloading the data for a site may last a few minutes. If this is a problem for you, please consider downloading 'smaller' areas.
License and Attribution
The data is based on open geo-data of Brandenburg, licensed under the "Data license Germany – attribution – version 2.0" (Datenlizenz Deutschland - Namensnennung - Version 2.0 - dl-de/by-2-0). When using the dataset, the user must ensure that the source note contains the following information - and to ackknowledge EMD, windPRO and its data providers:
Source:EMD/windPRO elevation model. Based on data from Geobroker Brandenburg / © GeoBasis-DE/LGB, dl-de/by-2-0, 2020 Datenlizenz Deutschland - Namensnennung - Version 2.0.
- The Landesvermessung und Geobasisinformation Brandenburg (LGB) are thanked for producing this digital elevation dataset – and disseminating it in the public domain and thus for aiding the development of renewable energy and wind energy in particular.
- Integration of this dataset into EMD services was co-supported through the InnoWind project (www.innowind.dk) which is co-funded by the Danish Innovation Fund
- Open Data! from LGB (Landesvermessung und Geobasisinformation Brandenburg) - https://geobasis-bb.de/lgb/de/geodaten/open-data/
- Site with description of the elevation model (in German language): https://geobroker.geobasis-bb.de/gbss.php?MODE=GetProductInformation&PRODUCTID=488a2b53-564f-43eb-88ec-0d87bb43ed20
- InnoWind project: http://www.innowind.dk