Norwegian Elevation Models
The national elevation models for Norway (DTM and DOM) are created by the Norwegian national ordnance survey (Kartverket).
These data-sets in windPRO come at a 10 meter grid resolution. They are generated primarily based based on laser scans - and are continuously updated.
The versions distributed in windPRO by EMD were downloaded during late August 2018. Currently, we distribute the digital terrain model (DTM10) and the digital surface model (DOM10)
Availability from within WindPRO
The data are available directly from within windPRO in 10 meter resolution. The data can be accessed from the online-services in the following objects:
- Line Object (with purpose set to height contour lines)
- Elevation Grid Object (with data-type set to 'Elevation data')
- Elevation Grid Object (with data-type set to 'Surface data')
The DTM10/DOM10 elevation data are delivered as gridded data with a spatial resolution of 10 meters. As a part of the processing of the DTM10/DOM10 elevation data from our EMD server, the user has an option of choosing whether the data downloaded should be received as either raw gridded data or converted to height contour lines. In order to use the data for energy yield calculations, the data must be converted to contours. For maximum spatial accuracy, we deliver the data in 3 UTM-zones. Coordinate systems used: ETRS 89 UTM Zone 32/33/35 (EPSG:25832, EPSG:25833, EPSG:25835)
Vertical reference system is NN2000 (EPSG:5941). This system used the same basis as the new European vertical system ( Normaal Amsterdams Peil, EVRF2007).
Coverage of the DTM10/DOM10 elevation data is mainland Norway, see here.
Experiences and Usage Notes
- A windPRO user has reported a location where the DTM10/DOM10 have missing data (seen as a hole in the data). This has been confirmed by EMD - and it is originating from the original source of data. EMD is currently (october 2019) investigating to add alternative Norwegian data sources. Until such data may be available in windPRO - we encurage to use the excellent data-portal for Norwegian elevation data: https://hoydedata.no. WindPRO will easily read geotiff files from that page - just load the data into an elevation grid object in windPRO.
Licence and Acknowledgement
Data source: "DTM10/DOM10" by Kartverket is licensed under CC BY 4.0.. Distribution through EMD and windPRO.
The following parties are acknowledged:
- Kartverket is acknowledged for the development and release of this free and open dataset.
- Integration of this dataset into EMD services - was co-supported through the InnoWind project (www.innowind.dk) - which is co-funded by the Danish Innovation Fund