French Orthophoto Mosaic
The French Orthophoto Mosaic is a part of the dynamic, zoomable maps in windPRO. The orthophotos were released by the Institut National de l’Information Geographique et Forestiére (IGN) as a part of their BD Ortho datasets. In order to cover the entire France - they come from multiple annual campaigns. The mosaic in windPRO is based on data acessed in medio 2019 and updated in medio 2020 - with the BD Ortho HR, 5m and 50cm resolution data as its sources. Pixel size in windpro is resampled to a 1m resolution. 86 of 101 French departements and territories are available in the high-resolution, with 15 departements still at 5m resolution. The remaining, missing parts will be added to windPRO when they become available from IGN. Coverage is all departments in metropolitan France - with images from years 2018-2012. Parts of the following overseas territories are also included in this dataset: Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane, La Réunion, Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, Mayotte, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint-Martin and Wallis-et-Fortuna.
- The mosaic was created from available data sources accessed in May-July 2019 and updated in August 2020 - with the most recent imagery being used to create the mosaic
- For metropolitan France - the mosaic holds data from 2018-2012 and for the overseas territories - the mosaic holds data from 2017-2004
- For some overseas territories - only parts are available
- Product descriptions about the BD Ortho products are available from these pdf-files (in french):
- Update in August 2020: The Institut National de l’Information Geographique et Forestiére (IGN) has begun releasing higher resolution and updated versions of the French orthophotos. In windPRO, we have now replaced the existing 5m resolution version with its higher resolution counterparts. Currently this higher resolution imagery covers 86 of 101 French departements and overseas territories; the remaining, missing parts will be added to windPRO when they become available from IGN.
Availability from within windPRO
- From map window: Click the ‘Add map’ globe-icon -> then ‘Dynamic Maps’.
- From main menu: Click ‘Project’ -> ‘Properties’ -> ‘Background Maps’ -> ‘Dynamic Maps’
License and Attribution
The map is distributed based on sources that belongs to the open data of the IGN of France. Open data by IGN is licensed under the French License Ouverte / Open License – a license used for open data from the State of France. The license is designed to be compatible to be compatible with Creative Commons Licenses, Open Government License (UK) and the Open Data Commons Attribution License read pdf here. It is required that the source of information is mentioned when using these data, so please use the following attribution when using this dataset in reports or publications:
Contains orthophotos from the Institut National de l’Information Geographique et Forestiére (IGN) - 2020. Data-processing and distribution by EMD and windPRO.
- The French public and the state of France (with IGN as its representative) are thanked for producing these orthophotos and disseminating them with an open-data licence - and thus aiding the development of renewable energy – and wind energy in particular.
- Integration of this dataset into EMD services was co-supported through the InnoWind project (www.innowind.dk) which is co-funded by the Danish Innovation Fund
- Institut National de l’Information Geographique et Forestiére (IGN): http://professionnels.ign.fr