Estonian Canopy Heights
The Estonian Land Board is maintaining maps of canopy heights with Estonian National coverage. The maps are developed using LiDAR scans of Estonia – where 1/4 of the country is being scanned each year. The map of forest heights in windPRO is – as such – based on measurements from multiple years 2012-2015. The Estonian forest heights in windPRO comes with a 10m grid resolution.
Data Applicability and Availability within windPRO
The forest height data are used as input for the dedicated sub-models in windPRO which takes into account the forest impact on the wind flow. This is the displacement height calculator and the Objective Roughness Approach (ORA) tool. Both forest models are available from windPRO 3.2+.
The forest data is accessed from the online-services from the ‘elevation grid object’ with data-type set to ‘Heights above terrain (a.g.l) for elements’.
Technical Details (EMD processed data)
Coordinate System: Estonian Coordinate System of 1997 (EPSG: 3301)
- Canopy height 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 (m)
- 32767 is a null value: the pixel does not belong to forestry land or canopy height is outside boundaries set (0.5m to 50m)
- For the data distributed in windPRO, the null values and missing data are neglected.
Spatial Resolution: 10m
License and Attribution
This data-product belongs to the open data of the Estonian Land Board. The data have been licensed under a ‘License of open data by Estonian Land Board’ – dated 2018.07.01 – or at this PDF. Please accept the license conditions and use a proper attribution when using this dataset, such as:
Contains: Canopy height data: Estonian Land Board 2012-2017. Distribution through EMD and windPRO.
If you derive data from this dataset or are using it within a published product, then use the notification above (or a simmilar attribution).
- The Estonian Land Board and the pubic of Estonia are thanked for producing this digital elevation dataset – and disseminating it in the public domain - and thus for aiding the development of renewable energy.
- Integration of this dataset into EMD services was co-supported through the InnoWind project (www.innowind.dk) which is co-funded by the Danish Innovation Fund
- Estonian Land Board: https://geoportaal.maaamet.ee
- InnoWind project: http://www.innowind.dk